Other Information on Miko
He is a published author.
He is a co-author of the online publication at Medium on Data Empowerment. Follow this link - https://medium.com/data-empowerment.
He contributed in several publications, including:
- the State of Open Data: Histories and Horizons - https://stateofopendata.od4d.net/
- Data for Development: What's Next? - https://www.ids.ac.uk/publications/data-for-development-whats-next-concepts-trends-and-recommendations-for-german-development-cooperation/
- The Social Dynamics of Open Data - available here - https://www.africanminds.co.za/dd-product/the-social-dynamics-of-open-data/
- Open Data in Developing Economies - available here - https://www.africanminds.co.za/dd-product/open-data-in-developing-economies-toward-building-an-evidence-base-on-what-works-and-how/
- Urbanisation and Development in Asia - https://www.wider.unu.edu/publication/urbanization-and-development-asia-0
- Governance and Security as a Unitary Concept - available here - https://www.amazon.com/Governance-Security-as-Unitary-Concept/dp/1897435835
Once upon a time, he wrote the book Accounting for Non-Accountants, available at Amazon as a paperback or as an e-book.
He is a speaker in several international conferences.
He speaks at the plenary or has been a keynote speaker in:
- OGP Global Conference, Ottawa, Canada, May 29-31, 2019
- OGP Regional Conference, South Korea, November 4-5, 2018
- G0V Conference, Taipei, October 5-7, 2018
- Open Data Shanghai Forum, Shanghai, China, November 6-9, 2017
- World Congress on Information Technology, Taipei, Taiwan, September 10-13, 2017
- Investigative Journalism Dialogue, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, September 2-3, 2017
- Asia Pacific Week, Berlin, Germany, May 15-19, 2017
- Adapting for Change: A Forum on Innovations for Better Governance, Brighton, United Kingdom, October 23-25, 2017
- 4th General Assembly, Local Governance Initiative and Network, Colombo, Sri-Lanka, December 13-15, 2016
- Open Data and Public Procurement, International Open Data Conference, Madrid, Spain, October 2-5, 2016
- 2nd International Conference on E-Democracy and E-Government, Quito, Ecuador, April 8-10, 2015
- “Beyond Accounting: What CPAs can do to contribute to Development”, plenary speech at the 67th PICPA Annual and National Convention, Butuan City, Philippines, 28 November to 1 December 2012
He also has presented papers in the following international conferences:
• “Why Context Assessments Matter in the Design of Open Contracting Programs”, Open Contracting Conference 2017, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 28-19 November 2017
• “Civic Technologies in Southeast Asia”, Civic Tech Fest, Taipei, Taiwan, September 10-13, 2017
• “From Portal to Policy: How Open Data Can Be Used to Achieve Policy Outcomes”, The Impacts of Civic Technology Conference, Florence, Italy, April 24-27, 2017
• “The State of Open Data in Asia”, Open Government Partnership Annual Conference, Paris, France, December 5-8, 2016
• “Open Data and Fiscal Transparency”, Local Governance Initiative and Network Conference on Fiscal Transparency, Tagaytay City, October 25-28, 2016
• “Smart Cities Need to Be Open: The Case of Jakarta, Indonesia”, International Open Data Conference, Madrid, Spain, October 2-5, 2016
• “From Open Data to Empowerment: Lessons from Indonesia and the Philippines”, Development Studies Association Conference, Oxford University, UK, October 12-15, 2016
• “The Role of Open Data in the Fight Against Corruption”, Penang Institute Conference, Penang, Malaysia, 28 September 2016
• “From Open Data to Empowerment: Experiences from Indonesia and the Philippines”, The Impact of Civic Technologies Conference, Barcelona, Spain, April 27-28, 2016
• “Indonesian Procurement Reforms and the Need for Better Procurement Data”, at the International Conference on Public Procurement, UNDP Seoul Policy Centre, 2-4 December 2015
• “Open Data and Subnational Governance” at the Governance Cooperation Fund Knowledge Exchange and Learning Event, Asian Development Bank, Manila, 23-24 November 2015
• “Open Data Research in Asia” at the Open Government Partnership Summit in Mexico City, Mexico, 27-29 October 2015
• “Open Data and Transparency, Accountability, and Citizen Engagement” at the Open Government Partnership Seminar in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 18 August 2015.
• “Enhancing Citizen Engagement with Open Government Data” at the International Open Data Conference. 27-29 May 2015., Ottawa, Canada.
• “Creating an Eco-system for Open Sub-national Governments: Lessons from a Developing Country Perspective” at the International Open Data Conference. 27-29 May 2015, Ottawa, Canada.
• “Opening the Local: Full Disclosure Policy and its Impact on Local Governance in the Philippines” at the International Conference on Electronic Governance 2014 (ICEGOV) at Guimaraes, Portugal, October 27-30, 2014
• “Using Financial Indicators to Measure Local Governance Outcomes in the Philippines” at the European Evaluation Society Biennial Conference, Dublin, Ireland, October 1-3, 2014
• “Making Conditional Cash Transfers Green: Opportunities for a Welfare and Environment Policy Agenda in the Philippines” presented at the Green and Social: Managing Synergies and Trade-offs conference at the German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany, 13 March 2014
• “Increase in Locally-Generated Tax Fees and Revenues as Proxy Indicator of Corruption”, presented at the U4 Proxy Competition Challenge, Bergen, Norway, 3 February 2014
• “When Investing in the Local Works or Does not Work: Case Studies from Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines”, Guest Lecture at the Graduate School of Business and Leadership, University of Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, 11 December 2013
• “Creating and Enabling Environment for More Transparent and Better-Resourced Local Governments: A Case of E-taxation in the Philippines” at the Opening Up ICT Ecosystem through Inclusion, Training, and Dialogue, University of Western Cape, 2-6 December 2013.
• “Scaling Up: Interactions, Challenges, and Opportunities of Social and Solidarity Economy in the Philippines” in the UNRISD and ILO Conference on The Potential and Limits of Social and Solidarity Economy, ILO, Geneva, Switzerland, 6-8 May 2013
• “The Sudden Shift: What Causes Increased Local Government Response to Climate Change Challenge in the Philippines” in the UNU-WIDER Conference on Climate Change and Development Policy, UNU-WIDER, Helsinki, Finland, 26-28 September 2012
• “Difficulty to Connect: Impediments to Collaboration for Knowledge Creation Among Developing Country Scholars” at the UNESCO Technologies for Sustainable Development Conference: A Way to Reduce Poverty, Lausanne, Switzerland, 29-31 May 2012
• “Investing in the Local: Rethinking Gender Mainstreaming Approaches for Women’s Economic Empowerment in the Philippines” at the EADI and DSA Global Conference on Rethinking Development in an Age of Scarcity and Uncertainty, York University, UK, 19-22 September 2011
• “Community Development Approaches in Natural Resource Management: Lessons from the Experience of a Protected Landscape in the Philippines” at the 4th International Conference on Community Development, Quebec, Montreal, Canada, 28-30 October 2009
• "It's Just a Buzzword from Above: Climate Change Challenge and Local Governance Indifference in the Philippines" at the DSA UK Conference on Current Crises: New Opportunities, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland, 2-4 September 2009
• “Stories in Numbers: Using Financial Indicators to Reveal Household and Community Narratives of Water Systems Projects in the Philippines” for the Network of Networks Impact Evaluation Initiatives of the World Bank, presented in the Impact Evaluation Conference, Cairo Egypt, 29 March to 2 April 2009
• “In Violence as it is in Peace: The Changing Face of Entrepreneurship in Post-Martial Law Rural Philippines” for the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (Entrepreneurship and Conflict Project) in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, March 20-21, 2009, University of Ulster
• “Protecting the Most Vulnerable: An Analysis of Poverty Targeting Programs in the Philippines” presented in the Asian Social Protection in Comparative Perspective Conference of the Association of Public Policy Analysis and Management, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore, January 7-9, 2009
• “The Excluded Poor: How Targeting Has Left Out the Poor in Peripheral Cities in the Philippines, presented in the Beyond the Tipping Point: Asian Development in an Urban World, sponsored by the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research, Hotel Hindusthan International, Kolkata, India, December 15-17, 2008
• “Structural Shifts and the Environment: Are the Poor the Culprits in Forest Degradation?”, presented in the 8th International Conference on Philippine Studies, sponsored by the Philippine Studies Association, PSS Centre, Manila, Philippines July 23-28, 2008
• “Achieving Peace Through Poverty Reduction: Evidence from the Philippines”, presented in the Building Sustainable Futures: Enacting Peace and Development conference, sponsored by the International Peace Research Association, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium, July 15-19, 2008
• “Combating Poverty: The Role of NGOs in Poverty Reduction in Bohol, Philippines, presented on the 3rd International Congress on Community Development, University of Lucerne School of Applied Sciences, Luzern, Switzerland, September 26-28, 2007
• “Ownership, Not Prescription: Outsider-Driven Development in Indigenous Tribal Communities in the Philippines”, presented in the UKFIET Conference, Oxford University Examination Schools, Oxford, UK September 11-13, 2007
• “The Seaweed Tragedy: How Local Livelihoods Can Be Disastrous to the Environment”, presented in the International Symposium on the Environment sponsored by Athens Institute for Education and Research, August 2-5, 2007, Athens, Greece
• “Educating the Electorate: Providing Hope to the Ballot”, presented in the 3rd Education and Development Conference sponsored by the Tomorrow People Organization, Bangkok, Thailand, March 9-11, 2007
He is a musician.
He composed the music for the Holy Name University jingle entitled "I Wanna Be" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS87qTlkQCg